. About Orthopaedia. OrthopaedicsOne Articles. In: OrthopaedicsOne - The Orthopaedic Knowledge Network. Created Mar 01, 2007 23:05. Last modified Apr 01, 2007 18:09 ver.12. Retrieved 2019-07-17, from https://www.orthopaedicsone.com/x/KYAe.
To serve as a on-line Living Text Book of musculoskeletal medicine and orthopedic surgery, collecting the Wisdom of the Crowd to improve education of students, residents and practitioners, thereby improving patient care.
What is an "Orthopaedia"?
At a simple level, think of Orthopaedia as an "Orthopaedic Encyclopedia". We also hope to honor the classic text of Andre, the book whose title that named the field. (He too spelled it orthopaedia.)
(Note to fans of etymology: the 'paedia' in both words refers to child. Andre defined a field interested in correcting deformity, ie making 'straight' (orthos) children. An encyclopedia was book whose range was complete for the education of children.)
(Note to rapid fans of etymology: the best discussion on this topic was given by [Diab | http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/utils/fref.fcgi?itool=Abstract-def&PrId=3051&uid=11507136&db=pubmed&url=http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=11507136)
Who is behind Orthopaedia?
The Orthopedia project is sponsored by the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons, an organization whose primary mission is to "disseminate orthopaedic knowledge".
If you are reading this, at the very least a nascent form of orthopedia exists!
Orthopedia began as a Table of Contents, also known as The CORR Curriculum (a term suggested by Dr Stuart Green). "Early adopters", ie zealots, are gradually posting articles. It is hoped that when critical mass is achieved a Tipping Point will be reached and orthopedia will be the primary destination of a community of regular readers and writers.
How Orthopaedia Differs from a Textbook
- The table of contents is not fixed--if you think there should be an article on Ancient Semitic Languages or Platonic Epistemology in an orthopedia, please write one!
- Anybody can write
- Anybody can edit
- Authors can hotlink to references, other websites and various media
What is Great about Orthopaedia
Because Anybody can write and Anybody can edit, over time Orthopedia should evelove to the most accurate and useful education tool in the world of musculoskeletal medicine and orthopedic surgery.
1. WE ARE NOT GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE!!
2. WE DO NOT INTEND TO VIOLATE ANYBODY'S COPYRIGHT. PLEASE NOTIFY US OF INFRINGEMENTS AND THE MATERIAL WILL BE TAKEN DOWN
3. ARTICLES ARE POSTED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT ANY USER CAN REPRODUCE THEM FOR NON-COMMERICAL PURPOSES AS LONG AS APPROPRIATE CREDIT IS GIVEN